Explorer

ECB clears Ben Stokes for international comeback despite charge

Ben Stokes will now be considered for England selection again despite being charged with affray, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced on Wednesday.

London: Ben Stokes will now be considered for England selection again despite being charged with affray, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced on Wednesday.

Stokes was suspended from international duty by the ECB following his involvement in an incident outside a nightclub in September that reportedly left a man with a fractured eye socket.

As a result, the Durham all-rounder missed the whole of England's 4-0 Ashes series defeat in Australia.

Although England are currently involved in a one-day international series in Australia, the ECB said Stokes was expected to return to England duty for February's Twenty20 matches in his native New Zealand.

Wednesday's announcement leaves the ECB in a potentially awkward position given they banned Stokes when he had not been charged with any offence and have now made him available for England duty just two days after prosecutors brought charges against him on Monday.

But following a full board discussion, in which they said "all considerations were taken into account", the ECB said it had been agreed that Stokes "should now be considered for England selection".

The ECB said Stokes' intention to contest the charge had been crucial in its decision to allow him to resume an England career that currently comprises 39 Tests, 62 one-day internationals and 21 Twenty20 internationals.

"Given the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) decision to charge him and two others with affray, confirmation of his intention to contest the charge and the potential length of time to trial, the board agreed that it would not be fair, reasonable or proportionate for Ben Stokes to remain unavailable for a further indeterminate period," the ECB said.

The board said it "fully respects the legal process and the player's intention to defend himself against the charge".

Top Headlines

WATCH: Nita Ambani's Reaction As Student Takes Savage Dig At Mumbai Indians
WATCH: Nita Ambani's Reaction As Student Takes Savage Dig At Mumbai Indians
IPL 2026 KKR vs DC: Toss Result & Complete Playing XIs
IPL 2026 KKR vs DC: Toss Result & Complete Playing XIs
WATCH: Jadeja Takes Sweet Revenge On Shardul Thakur After Animated Celebration
WATCH: Jadeja Takes Sweet Revenge On Shardul Thakur After Animated Celebration
KKR Sign Replacement For Rs 18 Crore Star Matheesha Pathirana Ahead Of Must-Win IPL Clash
KKR Sign Replacement For Rs 18 Crore Star Matheesha Pathirana Ahead Of Must-Win IPL Clash

Videos

BREAKING: Russia unleashes massive missile and drone strike on Kyiv, Ukraine reels under heavy bombardment
Big Breaking: US–Iran likely to extend 60-day ceasefire under MoU agreement
Big Breaking: Trump posts edited map of Iran with US flag, labels it “United States of Middle East”
Big Update: “Behaviour changed after pregnancy,” claims husband Samarth Singh
Breaking News: Suicide Blast in Quetta Near Railway Track Kills 26 People

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget