Explorer

Naxals Torch 14 Vehicles & Machines Engaged In Road Construction In Chhattisgarh's Dantewada

According to eyewitnesses, around 40-50 unidentified people disguised as civilians reached the spot and torched the vehicles including trucks, poclain, and earth-moving machines that were parked there

Suspected Naxalites torched 14 vehicles and machines engaged in construction in Chhattisgarh's Dantewada district on Monday. According to eyewitnesses, around 40-50 unidentified people disguised as civilians reached the spot and torched the vehicles including trucks, poclain, and earth-moving machines that were parked there. A senior police official told news agency PTI that there were no casualties. The incident took place at around 1:30 am at Bangali camp which comes under the control area of Bhansi police station. 

Additional Superintendent of Police (Dantewada) R K Burman said, “Around 25 Naxals, mostly dressed as villagers and some in (People’s Liberation Guerrilla Army) uniform, torched the vehicles and fled from the spot. Soon after receiving information, security forces reached the spot. Search operations are still underway.”

The senior police official said that 13 vehicles and machines that belonged to a private construction firm were engaged in road construction between Dantewada and Bacheli area. The official added that one water tanker was also engaged in railway works.

As soon as the police were alerted about the incident, a team led by Bhansi station house officer rushed to the spot. 

PTI quoted the official as saying, "Prima facie it seems to be the handiwork of Naxalites and a search operation is underway in the area to trace the culprits."

Naxalites have been known for disrupting the road construction works in the Bastar division frequently. The said division consists of seven districts in Dantewada. Naxalites have launched several attacks in the region on security forces, vehicles and machines used in work. They have also damaged roads, as reported by PTI.

Meanwhile, earlier in October, Union Home Minister Amit Shah asserted that Left-Wing extremism (LWE) and Naxalism will be eliminated from the affected states within two years. He reviewed the security situation in the Naxal-affected states where violence came down by 77 per cent in 2022 as compared to 2010, reported PTI. The number of resultant deaths of security force personnel along with civilians has also dropped by 90 per cent in 2022 as compared to 2010.

The Union Minister said, "Naxalism is a curse to humanity, and we are determined to eradicate it in all of its forms."

Top Headlines

Lucknow Triple Shooting: Man Kills Banker Wife Outside ICICI Bank, Later Kills Sister, Self
Lucknow Triple Shooting: Man Kills Banker Wife Outside ICICI Bank, Later Kills Sister, Self
Two Telangana Teens Kill School Principal, Loot Rs 2.5 Lakh; ‘Babu’ Clue Helps Crack Murder Case
Two Telangana Teens Kill School Principal, Loot Rs 2.5 Lakh; ‘Babu’ Clue Helps Crack Case
Tension Grips Jadavpur University As ABVP, Left Student Groups Clash Over General Body Meeting
Tension Grips Jadavpur University As ABVP, Left Student Groups Clash Over General Body Meeting
‘I Am Tikaau, Not Bikaau’: Shatrughan Sinha Says BJP Offered Him Incentives To Quit TMC | EXCLUSIVE
‘I Am Tikaau, Not Bikaau’: Shatrughan Sinha Says BJP Offered Him Incentives To Quit TMC | EXCLUSIVE

Videos

Breaking: Kangana-Ramdev Row Escalates as ‘Character’ Remark Sparks Fresh Political Storm
Rajasthan School Row: Congress Protest Erupts at Assembly, Sachin Pilot Targets Govt
Breaking: Vande Mataram Row Escalates as Amit Shah Attacks Congress Over Two-Verse Decision
Breaking: Home Minister Attacks Congress Over Vande Mataram, Accuses Party of Appeasement Politics
BREAKING: Government Caps Large-Buyer Stocks as Prices Cross ₹65 Ahead of Festivals

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget