Explorer

1984 riots: Jagdish Tytler refuses to undergo polygraph test

NEW DELHI: Congress leader Jagdish Tytler today refused to give consent to undergo a lie detection test in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots case. Tytler, in an affidavit filed before Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Shivali Sharma, refused to undergo the test. He said he does not wish to undergo the test as sought by the CBI. The CBI had earlier given a clean chit to Tytler but the central agency reopened the case in the wake of allegations by arms dealer Abhishek Verma, a prosecution witness. According to PTI, the counsel for controversial arms dealer Abhishek Verma, a key witness in the case, told the court that his client was unwell and sought time for his personal appearance to explain the conditions for undergoing the polygraph test. On May 9, the court asked Tytler and Verma to make their stands clear whether they will undergo lie-detector test in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case. The court granted time to Verma's counsel and listed the matter for June 2 for further proceedings. The court had on May 9 directed Tytler and Verma to give an "unambiguous" reply on whether they wanted to undergo lie detection test. It had held that the CBI's plea for obtaining their consent for the test was maintainable. It had said if there were any conditions attached to the consent, Tytler and Verma should appear in person for clarification. The CBI's move seeking permission to conduct polygraph test on Tytler and Verma came in pursuance to the court's December 4, 2015 order in which it was mentioned that the lie-detection test may be conducted, if required. The case pertained to the riots at Gurudwara Pulbangash in North Delhi where three people were killed on November 1, 1984, a day after the assassination of then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. Tytler, who has denied any role in the riots, was given clean chit by the CBI thrice in the case, but the agency was directed by the court to further investigate the matter. The victims had filed a protest petition challenging the CBI's closure reports in the case. The court had in December 2015 directed the CBI to further investigate the matter and said it would monitor the probe every two months to ensure that no aspect is left uninvestigated. The agency had reinvestigated the case of killing of Badal Singh, Thakur Singh and Gurcharan Singh near the gurudwara after a court in December 2007 refused to accept its closure report. The CBI has filed three closure reports in the case. (With PTI inputs)

Top Headlines

Rahul Gandhi Says ‘Rich vs Poor’ Will Replace Hindu-Muslim Politics In India
Rahul Gandhi Says ‘Rich vs Poor’ Will Replace Hindu-Muslim Politics In India
Supreme Court To Hear Suo Motu Case On Twisha Sharma Death Amid Questions Over Probe
Supreme Court To Hear Suo Motu Case On Twisha Sharma Death Amid Questions Over Probe
Who Is Samarth Singh, The Lawyer At The Centre Of Twisha Sharma Death Investigation?
Who Is Samarth Singh, The Lawyer At The Centre Of Twisha Sharma Death Investigation?
Iran’s ‘Sabhyata’ Jibe Targets Marco Rubio As He Arrives In India
Iran’s ‘Sabhyata’ Jibe Targets Marco Rubio As He Arrives In India

Videos

WEATHER ALERT: Severe Heatwave Grips Bihar and North India, Heat Alert Issued in 14 Districts
BREAKING NEWS: Akhilesh Yadav slams UP government over electricity crisis
Breaking: Ajay Rai Claims Viral Abusive Video Against PM Modi is AI-Generated
BREAKING NEWS: Marco Rubio lands in Delhi for high-level diplomatic visit
BREAKING NEWS: High Court orders second postmortem in Twisha Sharma case

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget