Explorer

'No scandal in Rafale fighter jet deal', says Dassault Aviation CEO Eric Trappier

Dassault Aviation CEO Eric Trappier on Wednesday reiterated his statement that there was no scandal with the Rafale deal, which has sparked a political row between the ruling BJP and the opposition parties.

BENGALURU: Dassault Aviation CEO Eric Trappier on Wednesday reiterated his statement that there was no scandal with the Rafale deal, which has sparked a political row between the ruling BJP and the opposition parties.  While speaking to the media during the Air show 'Aero India-2019' here, Trappier said that the Dassault Aviation, the makers of Rafale, had the request of 36 aircraft and they are going to deliver it. Trappier also said if India wants to purchase more jets, his firm will be more than pleased to deliver. "There is no scandal with Rafale, we had the request for 36 aircraft and we are going to deliver it. If the Government of India wants more aircraft, we will be more than pleased to deliver," the CEO said. "We are more than proud to show today in our stand what we have produced in Nagpur, the first Falcon 2000 cockpit manufactured under the 'Make in India' policy in one year," Trappier added. The Congress led by its president Rahul Gandhi has been accusing the Modi government of helping Anil Ambani make a profit of Rs 30,000 crore by helping him get an offset contract under the deal. The government as well as Ambani have denied all allegations. A French media report last year had quoted former French President Francois Hollande as purportedly saying that the Indian government proposed Reliance Defence as the partner for Dassault Aviation in the Rs 58,000 crore Rafale deal and France did not have a choice. Hollande, however, later was quoted as saying that France "did not choose Reliance in any way". France on Thursday said there was "absolutely no pressure" on it for selecting an offset partner and asserted that there was "nothing stronger" in its system than an inter-governmental agreement to protect the contract. The French government's strong assertion comes a day after the much-awaited CAG report on the controversy-hit contract showed that the Rafale deal signed by the Modi government to procure 36 fighter jets from France's Dassault got 2.86 per cent cheaper price than what was negotiated during the previous UPA regime in 2007.

Top Headlines

Rahul Gandhi Sits On Dharna Outside DCP Office After Delhi Police Refuses FIR In Pellet Gun Victim's Case
Rahul Gandhi Sits On Dharna Outside DCP Office Over Pellet Gun Victim’s FIR
Delimitation Takes Centre Stage As Shah Meets South CMs; Vijay, Shivakumar Seek 25-Year Seat Freeze
Delimitation In Focus As Shah Meets South CMs; Vijay, Shivakumar Seek 25-Year Seat Freeze
Raksha Bandhan 2026: UP Students Send Rakhis And Messages To PM Modi, President And Security Forces Via Post
Raksha Bandhan 2026: UP Students Send Rakhis And Messages To PM Modi, President And Security Forces
Uttarakhand HC relocation row: Bench reserves verdict after detailed hearing
Uttarakhand HC relocation row: Bench reserves verdict after detailed hearing

Videos

Breaking: Rahul Gandhi Demands FIR Over Alleged Pellet-Gun Use on Students, Stays at Delhi Police Station
Breaking: Rahul Gandhi at Delhi Police HQ: Possible Jantar Mantar Pellet-Gun Complaint Under Review
Breaking: Rahul Gandhi Visits Delhi Police Office With Pellet Injury Victim, Seeks Action Over Shooting
Political Strategy: Congress Launches Social Justice Conferences in UP to Target Dalit and OBC Votes
Jaipur School Clash: Villagers Protest CJP Visit, Allegations of Slogans and Vehicle Damage

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget