Explorer

Austria Stabbing Attack That Killed 14-Year-Old Teen Linked To Islamic State, Says Minister

A stabbing attack in Austria that killed a 14-year-old boy and wounded five others has been linked to the Islamic State group.

A stabbing attack in Austria that killed a 14-year-old boy was an Islamist attack, said the country's interior minister. 

The attack took place on Saturday at Villach, a town near the border with Italy and Slovenia, wounding five people. 

A 23-year-old Syrian asylum seeker was detained at the scene. 

The attack was linked to the Islamic State group, said Interior Minister Gerhard Karner, adding the suspect appeared to have been radicalised online, reported BBC. 

Earlier the authorities said he had a temporary residence permit and was waiting for a decision on his asylum application. 

Addressing a news conference on Sunday, Karner said this was an "Islamist attack with IS links by an attacker who, according to the investigations so far, was obviously radicalised online, via the internet, within a very short space of time.

ALSO READ | Obama Is Queer? Elon Musk's Father Makes Bizarre Claims About Former US President, First Lady

"So those in a position of responsibility, the police, the authorities, must draw the necessary conclusions from that," Karner said. 

A 42-year-old man, working with a food delivery company witnessed the incident from his car, said the police, reported Associated Press. The man drove toward the suspect and helped to prevent things from getting worse, Police spokesperson Rainer Dionisio told the country's public broadcaster ORF. 

All the victims were men, with two seriously injured and two sustaining minor injuries, said the police. Later, the cops said a fifth person, also a man was injured in the attack. 

Police said it was not clear whether the suspect acted alone and continued to search for potential additional suspects. It is also not known whether there is any connection between the attacker and the victims. 

Peter Kaiser, the governor of the Austrian province of Carinthia, expressed his condolence over the death of the 14-year-old victim. “This outrageous atrocity must be met with harsh consequences," Kaiser said. 

Top Headlines

Ousted Ukraine Defence Minister Fedorov Calls For Wartime Elections, Challenges Zelenskyy
Ousted Ukraine Defence Minister Fedorov Calls For Wartime Elections, Challenges Zelenskyy
Imran Khan Meets Wife, Sister For First Time In Nine Months After SC Order: Watch
Imran Khan Meets Wife, Sister For First Time In Nine Months After SC Order
Indian-Origin Man Arrested In Canada Over Alleged Sexual Assault Of Woman At Park
Indian-Origin Man Arrested In Canada Over Alleged Sexual Assault Of Woman At Park
Trump Administration Sanctions ICC President, Senior Lawyer In Latest Clash With Court
Trump Administration Sanctions ICC President, Senior Lawyer In Latest Clash With Court

Videos

BIG BREAKING: Tejashwi Yadav to Lead RJD’s Raj Bhavan March in Support of Student Protest
EXPRESSWAY CONTROVERSY: Workers Use ‘Jugaad’ to Clear Waterlogging, Congress Takes Dig
STUDENT PROTEST: Students Protest Teacher Shortage, Poor Food and Alleged Assaults in Unnao
BIG BREAKING: Imran Masood and Ashu Malik Clash During Saharanpur Disha Meeting
Satyendar Jain Arrest: Former Delhi Minister to Appear in Court

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget