Explorer

Another Blow To China! US Classifies Huawei And ZTE As Security Threats, Blocks Funding

The FCC voted unanimously to block telecoms from using federal funds to purchase equipment from Huawei last November, but the final order went into effect Tuesday.

New Delhi: After India banned 59 Chinese apps amid national security concerns, China has received another blow from the US.  The US Federal Communications Commission announced on Tuesday its final decision to classify Huawei and ZTE as national security threats. ALSO READ|By Banning Its 59 Apps, India Hits China Where It Hurts The Most US FCC has classified Huawei and ZTE as security threats, and banned them as suppliers for projects under its Universal Service Fund, because of alleged ties to the Chinese military and intelligence services. The Federal Communications Commission is the US agency that regulates all communications technology. The two companies have been banned as suppliers under the FCC's Universal Service Fund. The fund is a collection of subsidies through which the US government can promote access to telecom services. In the release, the FCC stated: “As a result of today's action, money from the FCC's $8.3 billion (approximately Rs. 62,676 crore) a year Universal Service Fund may no longer be used to purchase, obtain, maintain, improve, modify, or otherwise support any equipment or services produced or provided by these suppliers.“ ALSO READ|India's Digital Strike On China! List Of 10 Most Popular Apps You Won't Be Able To Use “With today's Orders, and based on the overwhelming weight of evidence, the Bureau has designated Huawei and ZTE as national security risks to America's communications networks—and to our 5G future,” FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said in the release. “Both companies have close ties to the Chinese Communist Party and China's military apparatus, and both companies are broadly subject to Chinese law obligating them to cooperate with the country's intelligence services.” Won't compromise with national security: FCC Chairman “The Bureau also took into account the findings and actions of Congress, the Executive Branch, the intelligence community, our allies, and communications service providers in other countries. We cannot and will not allow the Chinese Communist Party to exploit network vulnerabilities and compromise our critical communications infrastructure,” he added. According to reports by Cnet, last week, the Trump administration announced its finding that Huawei is backed by the Chinese military. The Pentagon sent a document to Congress containing the names of 20 Chinese companies that it found to be backed by the People's Liberation Army, including Huawei. US taking hardline against Chinese firms In May 2019, Trump signed an executive order declaring a national emergency and barring U.S. companies from using telecommunications equipment made by companies posing a national security risk. The Trump administration also added Huawei to its trade blacklist last year. In April, the FCC said it may shut down U.S. operations of three state-controlled Chinese telecommunications companies.
 ALSO WATCH|Trump says, 'As Covid crisis intensifies, so is my anger for China'

Top Headlines

Ceuta Dream: Why Young Moroccans Still Risk Everything To Cross Into Spain
Ceuta Dream: Why Young Moroccans Still Risk Everything To Cross Into Spain
China’s Chang’e-7 Mission To Hunt For Lunar Ice In One Of The Solar System’s Coldest Places
China’s Chang’e-7 Mission To Hunt For Lunar Ice In One Of The Solar System’s Coldest Places
China’s ‘Superman’ Robot Can Jump 2 Metres And Claims To Outrun Usain Bolt | WATCH
China’s ‘Superman’ Robot Can Jump 2 Metres And Claims To Outrun Usain Bolt | WATCH
Hong Kong Court Convicts Two Tiananmen Activists Under Security Law
Hong Kong Court Convicts Two Tiananmen Activists Under Security Law

Videos

BREAKING: Rahul Gandhi's Police Station Protest Intensifies as Congress Demands FIR in Pellet Gun Case
BREAKING: Rahul Gandhi Stages Sit-In Outside Delhi Police Station, Demands FIR Over Pellet Gun Case
Breaking News: Rahul Gandhi Seeks FIR Over Alleged Pellet Gun Use Against Students in Delhi
Breaking: Rahul Gandhi Demands FIR Over Alleged Pellet-Gun Use on Students, Stays at Delhi Police Station
Breaking: Rahul Gandhi at Delhi Police HQ: Possible Jantar Mantar Pellet-Gun Complaint Under Review

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget