Explorer

NIA Takes Over Pahalgam Terror Attack Probe, Intensifies Search For Evidence

The National Investigation Agency (NIA) will probe the terrorist attack in Pahalgam that killed 26 civilians.

The National Investigation Agency will probe the dastardly terrorist attack in Pahalgam that killed 26 civilians earlier this week. The federal anti-terror agency has begun the process of formally taking over the probe following orders from the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).

NIA teams, which have been camping at the terror attack site since Wednesday have intensified the search for evidence. 

The teams, headed by an IG, a DIG and an SP from the federal agency, are examining the eyewitnesses who had seen the terror attack unfold before their eyes in the serene and picturesque Baisaran valley. 

The teams are gathering minute details from the eyewitnesses to piece together the sequence of events that led to one of the worst terror attacks in Kashmir. The teams have also visited deceased victim's family to record their statement as part of their probe. 

NIA Team Reaches Odisha 

A three-member NIA team visited Odisha's Balasore district on Saturday and recorded the statement of Priya Darshani Achariya, the wife of CIPET employee Prashant Satpathy, one of the 26 people killed in the Pahalgam terror attack, reported PTI. 

The team reached Satpathy’s native village, Ishani, under the Remuna block in Balasore district. An official said that Achariya’s statement is "crucial" for investigation as she and her 9-year-old son Tanuj were eyewitnesses to the killings. 

Other members of the deceased's family were not allowed in the room where the NIA team was recording Achariya's statement. 

NIA Team Visits Bengal Victims' Family

Another three-member team of the NIA reached the residence of Samir Guha, another victim in the terrorist attack, in Kolkata's Behala area to record statements of his family members, a senior official said.

The team also met the wife of Bita Adhikari, another deceased in the terror attack, in the Baishnabghata area to record her statement, he said.

Three of the victims in the attack were from West Bengal including Bitan Adhikari (of Baishnabghata, Kolkata), Samir Guha (Sakher Bazar, Kolkata), and Manish Ranjan (Jhalda, Purulia). 

Top Headlines

Goa Govt Moves SC Seeking Life Imprisonment For Tarun Tejpal In 2013 Sexual Assault Case
Goa Govt Moves SC Seeking Life Imprisonment For Tarun Tejpal In 2013 Sexual Assault Case
Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal To Visit Japan August 24-27 To Boost Trade, Investment Ties
Piyush Goyal To Visit Japan August 24-27 To Boost Trade, Investment Ties
Bangladesh Seeks More Diesel From India Amid Energy Crisis: Here's What MEA Says
Bangladesh Seeks More Diesel From India Amid Energy Crisis: Here's What MEA Says
‘Should We Praise This Brutality?’ Rahul Gandhi Hits Back At Kiren Rijiju Over Jantar Mantar Protest
‘Should We Praise This Brutality?’ Rahul Hits Out At Rijiju Over Jantar Mantar Protest

Videos

BREAKING NEWS: Champat Rai and Anil Mishra Get Clean Chit in Ram Temple Donation Case
POLITICAL ROW: Vande Mataram Controversy Intensifies After Congress Sings Only Two Verses
BIG CONTROVERSY: Naxalism Victims Question Leaders Calling Themselves ‘Ideological Naxals’
Breaking News: Delhi Police Tells Supreme Court No Excessive Force Used During July 20 Student Protest
Breaking: Ram Temple Donation Theft SIT Report Gives Clean Chit to Champat Rai, Anil Mishra

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget