Explorer

Malegaon Blast: 19th Witness Turns Hostile, Denies Identifying Anyone Except Lt Col Purohit

The witness denied identifying anyone except Lieutenant Colonel Shrikant Prasad Purohit, who was present in the court, ANI reported.

New Delhi: Another witness in the 2008 Malegaon blast case turned hostile on Thursday.

The witness denied identifying anyone except Lieutenant Colonel Shrikant Prasad Purohit, who was present in the court, ANI reported.

He is the 19th witness to turn hostile in connection with this case.

The matter will be next heard on March 25.

Earlier last month, the 18th witness turned hostile in connection with the Malegaon blast case.

During his deposition in the court of Special NIA Judge PR Sitre, the hotelier from Panchmarhi denied making any statement to the probe agencies, said special public prosecutor Avinash Rasal, PTI reported.

The witness, however, supported the statements attributed to him in the chargesheet.

ALSO READ:IPL 2022: ‘Terrorists Did A Recce Of Team Hotel And Wankhede Stadium’. Security Stepped Up In Mumbai

The witness had in the statement attributed to him in the chargesheet filed by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) said that Lieutenant Colonel Purohit had met him to make arrangements for the camp for about 40-50 people in October 2008.

As many as 220 witnesses have been examined in the case till now.

Earlier on September 29, 2008, six people were killed and over 100 others injured when an explosive device strapped on a motorcycle went off near a mosque in Nashik's Malegaon town, located about 200 km from Mumbai.

The accused in the case include Lok Sabha member Pragya Singh Thakur, Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Purohit, Shudakar Diwedi, Major (Retired) Ramesh Upadhyay, Ajay Rahirkar, Sudhakar Dwivedi, Sudhakar Chaturvedi and Sameer Kulkarni, all of whom are out on bail.

They are facing trial under provisions of the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) and the Indian Penal Code.

Top Headlines

Uttarakhand HC relocation row: Bench reserves verdict after detailed hearing
Uttarakhand HC relocation row: Bench reserves verdict after detailed hearing
NTA says answer key challenge designed to be fair to all students, rejects 'expensive' charge
NTA says answer key challenge designed to be fair to all students, rejects 'expensive' charge
Candidates with clean image, winning potential will get tickets for civic polls: Rajasthan BJP chief
Candidates with clean image, winning potential will get tickets for civic polls: Rajasthan BJP chief
Cong decision to sing only two stanzas of Vande Mataram is anti-national: Dhami
Cong decision to sing only two stanzas of Vande Mataram is anti-national: Dhami

Videos

Breaking: Kangana-Ramdev Row Escalates as ‘Character’ Remark Sparks Fresh Political Storm
Rajasthan School Row: Congress Protest Erupts at Assembly, Sachin Pilot Targets Govt
Breaking: Vande Mataram Row Escalates as Amit Shah Attacks Congress Over Two-Verse Decision
Breaking: Home Minister Attacks Congress Over Vande Mataram, Accuses Party of Appeasement Politics
BREAKING: Government Caps Large-Buyer Stocks as Prices Cross ₹65 Ahead of Festivals

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget