Explorer

India declines to comment on NASA's assessment that debris from ASAT test could endanger ISS

The government on Wednesday declined to comment on US space agency NASA's assessment that India's anti-satellite weapon test last week led to creation of 400 pieces of space debris that could pose a threat to the International Space Station (ISS).

New Delhi: The government on Wednesday declined to comment on US space agency NASA's assessment that India's anti-satellite weapon test last week led to creation of 400 pieces of space debris that could pose a threat to the International Space Station (ISS). When contacted, the spokesperson of Ministry of Defence declined to comment.On March 27, India achieved a historic feat by shooting down its own low-orbit satellite with a ground-to-space missile, making the country a space power. Only three other countries -- the US, Russia and China -- have ASAT capabilities The NASA on Tuesday termed as a "terrible thing" India's shooting down of one of its satellites that has created about 400 pieces of orbital debris, endangering the ISS. NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said about 60 pieces have been tracked so far and out of which 24 are going above the apogee of the ISS. "That is a terrible, terrible thing to create an event that sends debris and an apogee that goes above the international space station. That kind of activity is not compatible with the future of human spaceflight that we need to see have happen," he had said.

Top Headlines

Ramdas Athawale Invites CJP Founder Dipke To NDA: 'Join RPI(A), Help Fulfil Ambedkar's Vision'
Ramdas Athawale Invites CJP Founder Dipke To NDA: 'Join RPI(A), Help Fulfil Ambedkar's Vision'
14 Of 28 CMs Face Serious Criminal Cases; Revanth Reddy Tops List, Suvendu Adhikari Second
14 Of 28 CMs Face Serious Criminal Cases; Revanth Reddy Tops List, Suvendu Adhikari Second
'Don't Do Injustice': JSSC CGL Candidates Oppose Exam Cancellation In Jharkhand, Threaten Legal Action
JSSC CGL Cancellation: Why Are Selected Candidates Protesting Against Jharkhand Govt?
Bihar Govt Explains 4 AK-47 Rounds Fired During NEET Protest In SC, Says Constable Was Trapped
Bihar Govt Explains 4 AK-47 Rounds Fired During NEET Protest In SC, Says Constable Was Trapped

Videos

BIG UPDATE: Delhi Police Tells Supreme Court Minimal Force Used During July 20 Student Protest
Breaking: BJP Puts Vinod Tawde in Charge of UP as New State Appointments Signal Election Push
BREAKING NEWS: Lucknow Sub-Inspector Attacked During Illegal Dairy Drive, Video Goes Viral
BIG UPDATE: BJP Appoints Vinod Tawde UP In-Charge, Tarun Chugh Gujarat & Satish Poonia Punjab
BREAKING NEWS: Gen Alpha Girls March at Midnight in Dhar Over Poor Hostel Facilities

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget