Explorer

Balasore Train Tragedy: 151 Bodies Identified So Far, Arrangements For Transportation Underway

Days after the deadly train tragedy in Balasore, the Odisha government on Monday informed that out of the 275 dead bodies, 151 had been identified so far.

New Delhi: Days after the deadly train tragedy in Balasore, the Odisha government on Monday informed that out of the 275 dead bodies, 151 had been identified so far, reported ANI.

He further said that arrangements for free transportation of the bodies have been made by the state government. 

Odisha's Chief Secretary PK Jena told ANI, "So far 151 bodies have been identified. All bodies after the due process are being handed over for transfer to the destination. Arrangements for free transportation of the bodies by hearses/ dead body carriers till destination made by Odisha Govt."

Notably, the triple train accident that took place on Friday involved the Bengaluru-Howrah Superfast Express, the Coromandel Express, and a goods train on three separate tracks at Bahanaga Bazar station in the Balasore district.

Earlier in the day, Jena reacted to allegations that the death toll figure was being manipulated and said that the Odisha government doesn't intend to hide the number of deaths in the accident and the entire rescue operation was being conducted in full public view, reported PTI.

"Media persons are very much present at the accident site since the beginning. Everything is being done in the presence of cameras," he said.

He added, "The railways had stated the death toll as 288. We also said that, and the figure was based on information from the railways. But, our Balasore District Collector has verified the death toll, and the figure was 275 till 10 am of Sunday."

Regarding the change in the toll, Jena said it was due to the double counting of some bodies, according to PTI.

The chief secretary said there was also no prohibition on the entry of media persons at the accident site. "The rescue and even restoration activities went on in full public view," he said.

Meanwhile, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee questioned the death figures, stating that 61 people from her state were dead and 182 were still missing.

"If from one state, 182 are missing and 61 are confirmed dead, then where would the figures stand?" she asked, addressing a press conference.

Railway Minister Ashiwini Vaishnaw refused to take any questions from journalists in connection with Banerjee's allegation.

Top Headlines

South Asia has largest health workforce shortage in achieving universal health coverage: Study
South Asia has largest health workforce shortage in achieving universal health coverage: Study
Jharkhand govt releases list of 44 recruitment exams cancelled due to irregularities
Jharkhand govt releases list of 44 recruitment exams cancelled due to irregularities
Woman held for killing truck driver who blackmailed her, setting vehicle on fire in UP's Pilibhit
Woman held for killing truck driver who blackmailed her, setting vehicle on fire in UP's Pilibhit
Labourer sexually harasses two female MBBS interns in Haryana medical college; arrested
Labourer sexually harasses two female MBBS interns in Haryana medical college; arrested

Videos

BREAKING NEWS: Champat Rai and Anil Mishra Get Clean Chit in Ram Temple Donation Case
POLITICAL ROW: Vande Mataram Controversy Intensifies After Congress Sings Only Two Verses
BIG CONTROVERSY: Naxalism Victims Question Leaders Calling Themselves ‘Ideological Naxals’
Breaking News: Delhi Police Tells Supreme Court No Excessive Force Used During July 20 Student Protest
Breaking: Ram Temple Donation Theft SIT Report Gives Clean Chit to Champat Rai, Anil Mishra

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget