Explorer

SC Declines Kerala Plea Seeking More Time For Actor Dilip’s Rape Case Trial

Senior advocate Jaideep Gupta, representing the Kerala government, sought 6 months more time, as the existing deadline to complete the trial is February 16.

In a setback for the Kerala government, the Supreme Court on Monday declined to entertain its plea to extend the time to complete the trial in the actor rape case, involving Malayalam actor Dileep, who is allegedly accused of being the chief conspirator of the crime.

A bench comprising Justices A.M. Khanwilkar and C.T. Ravikumar said such a demand can be made only by the trial judge and the judge can also submit a report before the top court seeking extension, if it is felt necessary.

Senior advocate Jaideep Gupta, representing the Kerala government, sought 6 months more time, as the existing deadline to complete the trial is February 16. But, the bench made it clear that it will not grant the extension, at the instance of the Kerala government.

Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for Dileep, opposed the Kerala government plea and submitted that the state government is trying to delay the trial. He vehemently argued that the time to complete the trial had already been extended several times.

He argued that after the examination of 200 witnesses, another man came with a fresh set of allegations, when the trial in the matter is about to complete.

The bench orally observed that it will not pass an order at the instance of the state government and disposed of the application. "We leave it at the discretion of the trial court to take an appropriate view in this matter...".

Rohatgi pointed out all the extensions in the trial were on the basis of the request made by the sessions judge and not by any of the parties. He added that the state government is not justified in seeking extension of time and it is for the judge concerned to seek extension of time, if he thinks it is required.

At the end of the hearing, Gupta urged the top court to keep the state government application pending, which was opposed by Rohatgi. The bench noted that if it is kept pending, then it will give a different meaning. Rohatgi said the state government is conducting a media trial against his client.

Dileep is allegedly accused of hatching the criminal conspiracy in connection with the abduction and the sexual assault of the victim, in a moving vehicle in the outskirts of Cochin city in February 2017.

Suriya’s ‘Jai Bhim’ Wins Three Awards At Noida International Film Fest

Watch this space for more updates.

Top Headlines

RJ Mahvash Breaks Silence On ‘Dating’ Yuzvendra Chahal, Says ‘Stood By Him As A Support System’
RJ Mahvash Breaks Silence On ‘Dating’ Yuzvendra Chahal, Says ‘Stood By Him As A Support System’
'What Can Be Said In Two Days Is Astrology': Kamal Haasan On Vijay’s CM Tenure
'What Can Be Said In Two Days Is Astrology': Kamal Haasan On Vijay’s CM Tenure
Inside RZA’s Slime-Themed Birthday: Rihanna And A$AP Rocky Rent Entire Sloomoo Institute
Inside RZA’s Slime-Themed Birthday: Rihanna And A$AP Rocky Rent Entire Sloomoo Institute
Yuvraj Singh's Father Yograj Singh Seeks Anticipatory Bail In 'Lukkhe' Row, Complainant Pushes Back
Yuvraj Singh's Father Yograj Singh Seeks Anticipatory Bail In 'Lukkhe' Row, Complainant Pushes Back

Videos

Breaking: Over 50 Aadhaar Cards Recovered from TMC Leader’s Office in West Bengal
Crime Alert: Youth Shot Dead Outside Home in Haryana’s Jhajjar in Brutal Attack
Breaking News: Bulldozer Action Outside Lucknow Court Complex Amid High Court Order
BREAKING NOW: Policy Shift From Population Control to Population Growth in Andhra Pradesh
BIG BREAKING: Fire Breaks Out in Rajdhani Express Near Ratlam, Major Disaster Averted

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget