Explorer

Malayalam superstar Dileep gets relief in abduction case

In his petition, Dileep states that he has a right to get evidence relating to the case which includes the memory card in which the attack visuals have been stored. Rohatgi argued that Dileep has a right to access all kinds of evidence that prosecution is producing against him.

New Delhi: Malayalam superstar Dileep on Tuesday got a relief in a 2017 case related to assault and abduction of an actress in which he is a key accused. The Kerala government told the Supreme Court that it will not press for framing of charges against him before the trial court in the case till his pending plea in the apex court for access to visuals of assault captured by main accused Pulsar Suni is decided. The government said an understanding has been arrived at with Dileep in this regard. The trial court was to commence hearing on framing of charges on Wednesday. Dileep earlier argued in the Supreme Court that till his plea seeking a copy of crucial memory card (to prove his innocence) is decided, simultaneous framing of charges would result in "violation of natural justice" and "irreparable damage" to him. Dileep has argued before the apex court that the copy of the footage of the incident is "very essential and crucial" for him to prove his innocence in the case. Dileep maintains the visuals had been manipulated and doctored to frame him. The government of Kerala has, however, opposed his plea for the copy of the visuals and accused him of being the "chief conspirator". The government's counsel observed there is no requirement under law to share all the material with the accused. His plea for the copy of the memory card was turned down earlier by the Angamaly Magistrate Court and the Kerala High Court. The south Indian actress was abducted and assaulted in a moving car on February 17, 2017. Dileep was arrested in July same year in this connection. Mukul Rohatgi, senior counsel appearing for Dileep, contends that the memory card is a document but the prosecution says it is a material which does not come under the I-T Act and cannot be handed over. In his petition, Dileep states that he has a right to get evidence relating to the case which includes the memory card in which the attack visuals have been stored. Rohatgi argued that Dileep has a right to access all kinds of evidence that prosecution is producing against him.

Top Headlines

Imran Khan’s Hospital Transfer Faces Hurdle, Pakistan Govt To Challenge SC Order
Imran Khan’s Hospital Transfer Faces Hurdle, Pakistan Govt To Challenge SC Order
Congress CWC Passes Vande Mataram Resolution; Rahul Gandhi Says ‘Modi And Amit Shah Are Finished’
Rahul Gandhi Says ‘Modi And Amit Shah Are Finished’, CWC Passes Vande Mataram Resolution
Delhi CNG Station Blast: 3 Killed After Truck Cylinder Explodes While Refuelling
Delhi CNG Station Blast: 3 Killed After Truck Cylinder Explodes While Refuelling
US Ambassador Sergio Gor Calls J&K 'Important Part Of India' During First Srinagar Visit
US Envoy Sergio Gor Calls J&K 'Important Part Of India' During First Srinagar Visit

Videos

BIG BREAKING: Tejashwi Yadav to Lead RJD’s Raj Bhavan March in Support of Student Protest
EXPRESSWAY CONTROVERSY: Workers Use ‘Jugaad’ to Clear Waterlogging, Congress Takes Dig
STUDENT PROTEST: Students Protest Teacher Shortage, Poor Food and Alleged Assaults in Unnao
BIG BREAKING: Imran Masood and Ashu Malik Clash During Saharanpur Disha Meeting
Satyendar Jain Arrest: Former Delhi Minister to Appear in Court

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget