Explorer

Polling to be held as per schedule despite Dantewada naxal attack: Chhattisgarh CEO

BJP MLA Bhima Mandavi and four others were killed when an IED blast triggered by Naxals hit their convoy in Nakulnar area of Chhattisgarh's Dantewada district on Tuesday.

BJP MLA Bhima Mandavi, his driver and three security personnel were killed when their convoy was attacked by Naxalites in Chhattisgarh's Dantewada district.
The Naxalites carried out "the meticulously planned attack" when Mandavi was hurrying to an election meeting just before the close of election campaign.
Dantewada district falls in Bastar constituency where polling will be held on April 11.
RAIPUR: Voting in Chhattisgarh's Bastar seat in the first phase of the Lok Sabha elections will be held as per schedule, Election Commission officials said on Tuesday, hours after a BJP MLA, his driver and three security personnel were killed in a naxal attack in the constituency. "Polling will go on as per schedule," EC officials said quoting state Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Subrat Sahu. In his report to the poll panel, Sahu said he has "taken an immediate video conference of collectors and SPs (superintendents of police) of the affected districts covering Phase 1 and phase 2 in Chhattisgarh". The CEO also said he has "instructed them to take utmost precautions over the next few days" keeping in mind polling in the first phase on April 11 and second phase on April 18 in the state. Dantewada district falls in Bastar constituency where polling will be held on April 11. BJP MLA Bhima Mandavi, his driver and three personal security officers were killed when an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) went off in Kuakonda area, a forested part of Dantewada district, this evening, they said. The "meticulously planned attack" was carried out when Mandavi was hurrying to an election meeting just before the close of election campaign at 5 p.m. for the first phase of Lok Sabha polls due on Thursday, the police said. ALSO READ: BJP MLA among 5 killed in Naxal attack in Dantewada The vehicle in which the MLA was travelling bore the maximum brunt of the blast, Deputy Inspector General (Anti-Naxal Operations) P Sundar Raj told reporters. Mandavi was the lone Bharatiya Janata Party MLA from Bastar region which accounts for 12 Assembly seats. This was the first Maoist attack in Chhattisgarh since the Congress assumed power in December last year, ending 15 years of BJP rule in the state. Prime Minister Narendra Modi condemned the attack and said the sacrifices of the deceased will not go in vain. Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel cancelled his election meetings and rushed to his office for a meeting with senior police and intelligence officers after the attack. (With inputs from agencies)

Top Headlines

UAE Detects ‘Missile Threat’, Issues Brief Alert; Residents Told To Seek Shelter
UAE Detects ‘Missile Threat’, Issues Brief Alert; Residents Told To Seek Shelter
Kejriwal Blames BJP For Satyendar Jain’s Arrest, Calls It ‘Dictatorship’
Kejriwal Blames BJP For Satyendar Jain’s Arrest, Calls It ‘Dictatorship’
CJP Warns Centre Of Action Over Delay In Withdrawing FIRs Against Protesters
CJP Warns Centre Of Action Over Delay In Withdrawing FIRs Against Protesters
‘Credibility, Robustness Of India’s Election Machinery Globally Established’: MEA On Trump Remarks
‘India’s Election Machinery Credible, Robust Globally’: MEA On Trump Remarks

Videos

BREAKING NEWS: Champat Rai and Anil Mishra Get Clean Chit in Ram Temple Donation Case
POLITICAL ROW: Vande Mataram Controversy Intensifies After Congress Sings Only Two Verses
BIG CONTROVERSY: Naxalism Victims Question Leaders Calling Themselves ‘Ideological Naxals’
Breaking News: Delhi Police Tells Supreme Court No Excessive Force Used During July 20 Student Protest
Breaking: Ram Temple Donation Theft SIT Report Gives Clean Chit to Champat Rai, Anil Mishra

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget