Explorer

Assam: West Karbi Anglong Is No More A 'Disturbed Area', AFSPA Extended In 8 Districts

After a review of the law and order situation in Assam, AFSPA was extended in eight districts and one sub-division for six more months.

The Assam government on Thursday withdrew the declaration of 'Disturbed Area' under the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA) from West Karbi Anglong district as the situation there has "considerably improved", PTI reported. However, AFSPA was extended in eight districts and one sub-division for six more months.

The order has already come into force from October 1, 2022, a government notification said. 

Districts which continue to be "disturbed areas" are Tinsukia, Dibrugarh, Charaideo, Sivasagar, Jorhat, Golaghat, Karbi Anglong and Dima Hasao besides Lakhipur sub-division of Cachar in the Barak Valley.

AFSPA, which gives sweeping powers to the security forces to maintain public order in 'disturbed areas', has been a contentious issue in the north-east states. Civil society members and activists have claimed that AFSPA gives security personnel a free hand to carry out excesses.

"A review of the law and order and security scenario in Assam in the recent past indicates that the situation has considerably improved in West Karbi Anglong district of the state...The Governor of Assam is pleased to withdraw the declaration of 'Disturbed Area' with effect from 01.10.2022 from West Karbi Anglong," the order issued by Home and Political Department Principal Secretary Niraj Verma said.

READ | Centre Extends AFSPA In Districts Of Arunachal Pradesh & Nagaland For Six Months

Earlier this year in May, Union Home Minister Amit Shah said he was confident that the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) would soon be revoked from the entire state of Assam. The Act has already been lifted from 23 districts in Assam.

AFSPA was imposed in Assam in November 1990 and has been extended every six months since then after a review of the situation by the state government.

A renewed and determined call to withdraw the Act gained momentum following an outrage over last year's incident in Mon district of Nagland where 14 people were killed by Army personnel.

On December 4, Army personnel mistook coal mine workers returning home in a van to be insurgents belonging to the Yung Aung faction of the banned outfit NSCN (K) and opened fire, killing six people. Eight others, including an Army man, were killed in subsequent clashes between the forces and villagers.

Top Headlines

'No lift in my journey, climbed stairs of hard work': Haryana CM Saini tells young entrepreneurs
'No lift in my journey, climbed stairs of hard work': Haryana CM Saini tells young entrepreneurs
Uttarakhand Congress alleges Form 7 misuse to delete voters during SIR, approaches EC
Uttarakhand Congress alleges Form 7 misuse to delete voters during SIR, approaches EC
UP: Interpol Red Corner Notice issued against 2024 Sambhal violence 'mastermind' Shariq Sata
UP: Interpol Red Corner Notice issued against 2024 Sambhal violence 'mastermind' Shariq Sata
‘Reform Is Not A Compulsion, It Is Our Conviction’: PM Modi Reinforces India's ‘Bright Centre Of Development’
‘Reform Is Not A Compulsion, It Is Our Conviction’: PM Modi

Videos

BREAKING: Rahul Gandhi's Police Station Protest Intensifies as Congress Demands FIR in Pellet Gun Case
BREAKING: Rahul Gandhi Stages Sit-In Outside Delhi Police Station, Demands FIR Over Pellet Gun Case
Breaking News: Rahul Gandhi Seeks FIR Over Alleged Pellet Gun Use Against Students in Delhi
Breaking: Rahul Gandhi Demands FIR Over Alleged Pellet-Gun Use on Students, Stays at Delhi Police Station
Breaking: Rahul Gandhi at Delhi Police HQ: Possible Jantar Mantar Pellet-Gun Complaint Under Review

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget