Explorer

Owners to get USD 42 million for citrus trees Florida destroyed

Orlando, Jan 14 (AP): Sixteen years after their legal battle began, about 18,000 homeowners in central Florida will be paid more than USD 42 million collectively by the state of Florida for destroying their citrus trees during an effort to eradicate a harmful citrus diseas.

Orlando, Jan 14 (AP): Sixteen years after their legal battle began, about 18,000 homeowners in central Florida will be paid more than USD 42 million collectively by the state of Florida for destroying their citrus trees during an effort to eradicate a harmful citrus disease.

The homeowners in Orange County will receive about USD 700 per healthy tree destroyed as part of an order issued in state court in Orlando last month.

A judgment from a 2014 trial assessed the value of each healthy tree as USD 344, but fees and interests over the years doubled the per-tree payment.

More than 60,000 healthy, uninfected trees were destroyed in Orange County between 2002 and 2006 as part of the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services' efforts to eradicate citrus canker, according to the lawsuit.

While unharmful to humans, citrus canker can cause the leaves and fruit of citrus trees to drop prematurely and create unappealing lesions on the fruit.

The lesions leak bacterial cells that can spread to other trees by wind, rain or contaminated equipment, according to the US Department of Agriculture.

The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services had argued that the homeowners' trees were a public nuisance and didn't have value worth compensating. Under the program, healthy trees that were within 1900 feet (580 meters) of an infected tree were destroyed in an effort to stop the disease's spread.

As compensation, the state in the 2000s offered Florida homeowners USD 100 Walmart gift cards for their first destroyed tree and USD 55 for each additional tree. In cases where homeowners resisted, authorities threatened arrest or obtained warrants to go onto private property and destroy trees.

The Florida Legislature approved payments for the Orange County homeowners last year. A third-party administrator will distribute the checks and track down homeowners whose addresses are no longer current.

Tens of thousands of homeowners in Broward, Lee and Palm Beach counties won class action lawsuits against the state over their destroyed trees, and compensations varied by county. A case in Miami-Dade County is still pending. (AP) RUP RUP

(This story is published as part of the auto-generated syndicate wire feed. No editing has been done in the headline or the body by ABP Live.)

Top Headlines

Putin’s Kuril Islands Visit Sparks Fresh Territorial Row With Japan
Putin’s Kuril Islands Visit Sparks Fresh Territorial Row With Japan
Iran Says 60-Day US Talks Timeline ‘Lost Relevance’, Blames Washington For ‘Violations’
Iran Says 60-Day US Talks Timeline ‘Lost Relevance’, Blames Washington For ‘Violations’
Trump Threatens To Bomb Oman Over Strait Of Hormuz Reopening Efforts
Trump Threatens To Bomb Oman Over Strait Of Hormuz Reopening Efforts
Imran Khan’s BP 140/100, Pulse 50; Doctors Recommend Family Meetings: Pak Media
Imran Khan’s BP 140/100, Pulse 50; Doctors Recommend Family Meetings: Pak Media

Videos

Twisha Sharma Case: CBI Chargesheet Says Death Was Suicide
Breaking News: Ujjain Mahakal Temple Panic After Current Rumour, Devotees Injured During Nag Panchami Rush
Breaking News: Ujjain Mahakal Crowd Panic Leaves 13 Injured Amid Current Rumour, Crowd Management Questions Rise9
Breaking: Sawan Monday Turns Tragic as Lakhisarai Stampede, Birbhum Fire and Ujjain Chaos Raise Alarm
Breaking News: NTA Faces Fresh Heat as NSUI Protests UGC NET Re-Exam, Demands Accountability

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget