Explorer

Bengal Post-Poll Violence: Calcutta High Court Pulls Up Mamata Govt, Says It's In 'Denial Mode'

Calcutta High Court also noted the cases of sexual violence, observing that even minors were attacked, adding that "they have been brutally assaulted sexually".

Kolkata: Calcutta High Court has pulled up the Mamata Banerjee-led West Bengal government on Friday over violence that erupted in the state following the election results. The bench said that the administration is in a "denial mode".

The Calcutta HC bench stated that there was enough evidence pertaining to the post-poll violence and that the state had been caught "on the wrong foot".

ALSO READ | Bengal Post-Poll Violence: Calcutta HC Directs Police To Register Cases, Orders Second Autopsy Of BJP Worker

"From a perusal of the report prima facie stand taken by the petitioners is established that there had been post-poll violence and the state was found on a wrong foot, where throughout it was on a denial mode," Live Law report quoted the 5-judge bench as saying.

Calcutta HC, after reading the NHRC report on post-poll violence, directed police to register cases in all matters which have either been reported to it or have been placed before NHRC or any other authority/Commission, get statements of victims recorded under Section 164 of CrPC.

It also noted the cases of sexual violence, observing that even minors were attacked, adding that "they have been brutally assaulted sexually".

It also directed Bengal Chief Secretary to ensure the preservation of correspondence of the Special Branch/Intelligence Branch of state Police, logs of different control rooms.

The Court issued directions based on the interim report submitted by NHRC. "We will not circulate interim report, it will remain on a sealed cover," the Court stated.

While it directed police to register cases as recommended by the NHRC committee, it also asked for medical treatment to be given to those who suffered from the violence and ordered a second autopsy of slain BJP worker Abhijit Sarkar to be conducted.

The court will also examine the issue of persons allegedly displaced from their homes due to the violence when the final report comes. "For now, we just want to assist the committee," it said.

Top Headlines

‘Take Gyanesh Kumar To America’: Pawan Khera Takes Dig At Trump After US Prez Praises Indian Polls
‘Take Gyanesh Kumar To US’: Pawan Khera Takes Dig After Trump Praises Indian Polls
BPSC TRE-4 Notification Out Amid Bihar Protests, 32,388 Teacher Posts Announced
BPSC TRE-4 Notification Out Amid Bihar Protests, 32,388 Teacher Posts Announced
Bihar Transfers Siwan SP Puran Kumar Jha After AK-47 Controversy During Student Protest
Bihar Transfers Siwan SP After AK-47 Controversy During Student Protest
‘If It’s A Crime, Gandhi, Vajpayee Are Also Guilty’: Kharge Hits Back At BJP Over Vande Mataram
‘If It’s A Crime, Gandhi, Vajpayee Are Also Guilty’: Kharge On Vande Matram Row

Videos

BREAKING NEWS: Champat Rai and Anil Mishra Get Clean Chit in Ram Temple Donation Case
POLITICAL ROW: Vande Mataram Controversy Intensifies After Congress Sings Only Two Verses
BIG CONTROVERSY: Naxalism Victims Question Leaders Calling Themselves ‘Ideological Naxals’
Breaking News: Delhi Police Tells Supreme Court No Excessive Force Used During July 20 Student Protest
Breaking: Ram Temple Donation Theft SIT Report Gives Clean Chit to Champat Rai, Anil Mishra

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget