Explorer

YouTuber Samay Raina Appears Before NCW, Submits Apology Over Objectionable Remarks

YouTuber Samay Raina appeared before the National Commission for Women (NCW) on Tuesday and submitted a written apology over remarks deemed disrespectful to women.

YouTuber Samay Raina appeared before the National Commission for Women (NCW) on Tuesday and submitted a written apology over remarks deemed disrespectful to women in his show "India's Got Latent".

Raina was also among the five social media influencers who appeared before the Supreme Court in a case seeking action against them for ridiculing persons suffering from disabilities.

The NCW summoned Raina over objectionable content in the programme aired on an online platform. During the hearing before NCW Chairperson Vijay Rahatkar, Raina expressed regret for his comments and assured the Commission that he would avoid such statements in the future, according to a statement.

He also agreed to create content that upholds the dignity of women and spreads awareness about their rights and respect, the NCW statement added.

Rahatkar told Raina in no uncertain terms that public figures must demonstrate sensitivity and respect towards women, especially on public platforms. She urged him to play a constructive role in promoting gender equality through his work.

Raina accepted the Commission's guidance and promised to work towards producing content that honours women and contributes positively to public discourse, officials said.

His appearance before the panel follows repeated summonses issued since February. Raina and others did not attend the original hearing on February 17 citing travel and security-related constraints.

The NCW rescheduled the hearing, giving them time to return to India and appear in person. The controversy erupted after clips from "India's Got Latent went viral earlier this year, leading to outrage over remarks that were seen as trivialising rape and objectifying women.

Following this, an FIR was lodged by the Maharashtra Cyber Cell and the NCW took suo motu cognisance of the issue.

The YouTube series was taken down in February, and Raina issued a public apology, saying he regretted any unintended harm caused.

In the weeks that followed, Raina announced a temporary break and later launched an international comedy tour, a reason he cited over non-appearance in front of the commission.

(This report has been published as part of the auto-generated syndicate wire feed. Apart from the headline, no editing has been done in the copy by ABP Live.)

Top Headlines

Is Monalisa Bhosle Facing Financial Struggles After Marrying Farman Khan? Viral Kumbh Mela Girl Launches YouTube Channel
Is Monalisa Bhosle Facing Financial Struggles After Marrying Farman Khan? Influencer Launches YouTube Channel
Dhurandhar Actor Arjun Rampal Marries Longtime Girlfriend Gabriella Demetriades In Goa
Arjun Rampal Marries Longtime Girlfriend Gabriella Demetriades In Goa
Kareena Kapoor Khan Is Not Pregnant, Actor’s Team Blames ‘Bad Camera Angle’
Kareena Kapoor Khan Is Not Pregnant, Actor’s Team Blames ‘Bad Camera Angle’
‘Niu Lai’ Made By Mother-Son Duo With $1,000 Budget Becomes China’s Surprising Box Office Hit
‘Niu Lai’ Made By Mother-Son Duo With $1,000 Budget Becomes China’s Surprising Box Office Hit

Videos

BREAKING: Rahul Gandhi's Police Station Protest Intensifies as Congress Demands FIR in Pellet Gun Case
BREAKING: Rahul Gandhi Stages Sit-In Outside Delhi Police Station, Demands FIR Over Pellet Gun Case
Breaking News: Rahul Gandhi Seeks FIR Over Alleged Pellet Gun Use Against Students in Delhi
Breaking: Rahul Gandhi Demands FIR Over Alleged Pellet-Gun Use on Students, Stays at Delhi Police Station
Breaking: Rahul Gandhi at Delhi Police HQ: Possible Jantar Mantar Pellet-Gun Complaint Under Review

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget