Explorer

Clarke writes to Sutherland, wants to play for Australia free of cost

Retired cricket Test captain Michael Clarke today offered to play for Australia for free to help the team recover after the downfall of his successor Steve Smith over a ball-tampering scandal in South Africa.

Suggesting his earlier claims of coming out of retirement to lead Australia was not a flash in the pan, former Australia skipper Michael Clarke has now written to Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland to consider him as possible replacement of Steve Smith.

Smith and vice-captain David Warner were stripped of their leadership roles and banned from the sport for one year after a plot to alter the balls condition during the third Test in March in South Africa.

"I would do anything to help the Australian cricket team," the 37-year-old told Sydney's Sunday Telegraph.

Clarke, who currently in India to cover the IPL as a commentator said, he doesn’t care about his age and he is even ready to play for Australia free of cost.

"Age is age. Is 17 too young? Ive never cared about age. Brad Hogg played at 45. I don't think it's about a number. I think it's about commitment and devotion.

"It's like getting back on a bike. I'm as fit and healthy as I've ever been. The time away has been great for my body."

The ex-skipper retired in 2015 after his 115th and final Test of the Ashes series against England and said his experience could be useful for the embattled team either on or off the field.

"Ive experienced a lot of great things in cricket but some tough times as well," he told the newspaper.

"Ive got the experience to help these young players and that's where our focus should be right now until the other guys come back."

Smith, Warner and bowler Cameron Bancroft -- who was banned for nine months -- decided not to challenge their sanctions imposed by CA last week.

This means Smith and Warner will not be eligible to play for Australia until March next year, with wicketkeeper Tim Paine appointed captain.

Clarke said the ball-tampering affair, as Australia slips to fourth in the world Test rankings, could set the team back for years.

"Im worried about it. I dont want us to be like the West Indies," he added.

"Were not talking about the next five years. It’s the next six months and we need to fix it now. If Cricket Australia asks me, I'd drop everything to help out."

Top Headlines

BCCI's Team India Title Sponsor Hunt Stalls Over Rs 4.85 Crore Base Price
BCCI's Team India Title Sponsor Hunt Stalls Over Rs 4.85 Crore Base Price
Top Five Indian Batters With Most Runs In WTC 2025-27
Top Five Indian Batters With Most Runs In WTC 2025-27
IND vs SL 2nd Test: Colombo Rain Threat, Pitch Report And Conditions
IND vs SL 2nd Test: Colombo Rain Threat, Pitch Report And Conditions
26 All Out And More: Lowest Team Totals Ever Recorded In Test Cricket
26 All Out And More: Lowest Team Totals Ever Recorded In Test Cricket

Videos

Delhi Horror: Adobe Techie Beaten to Death by In-Laws Over Domestic Dispute
BJP NEW TEAM: Nitin Nabin Forms Committee To Reach Youth, Directs Leaders To Engage With Public
PAKISTAN MIDNIGHT OPERATION: Imran Khan Taken Out Of Jail But Never Reaches Shifa Hospital
UP POLITICS: Yogi Adityanath Links SP’s PDA To ‘Pakistan’, Akhilesh Faces Fresh Political Attack
BJP BIG MEET: Nitin Nabin’s New Team Begins Work, Election Strategy Takes Centre Stage

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget