Explorer

Setback For China's Military Ambitions As Its Newest Nuclear-Powered Submarine Sinks: Report

China has the largest navy in the world, with over 370 ships, and it has embarked on production of a new generation of nuclear-armed submarines.

China's newest nuclear-powered attack submarine reportedly sank earlier this year. Beijing's new first-in-class nuclear-powered attack submarine sank alongside a pier sometime between May and June, news agency Reuters reported quoting an unnamed senior US defence official.

As per the official, it was not clear what caused the submarine to sink or whether it had nuclear fuel on board at the time. "In addition to the obvious questions about training standards and equipment quality, the incident raises deeper questions about the PLA's internal accountability and oversight of China's defence industry - which has long been plagued by corruption," the official said, using an acronym for the People's Liberation Army.

"It's not surprising that the PLA Navy would try to conceal" the sinking, the official added.

China already has the largest navy in the world, with over 370 ships, and it has embarked on production of a new generation of nuclear-armed submarines. With Beijing seeking to expand its military capabilities, the development is seen as a potential embarrassment for it. 

A Chinese embassy spokesperson in Washington, however, denied providing any information on the matter. "We are not familiar with the situation you mentioned and currently have no information to provide," the Chinese official told Reuters. 

Speaking in Taipei on Friday, Taiwan Defence Minister Wellington Koo said authorities "have a grasp of the situation through multiple intelligence and surveillance methods", but did not elaborate. Taiwan, which China views as its own territory, keeps a close watch on Beijing's military activities.  In June, pictures of a Chinese nuclear submarine surfacing in the Taiwan Strait near Taiwan fishermen appeared online.

As per a Pentagon report on China's military, till 2022, China had six nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines, six nuclear-powered attack submarines and 48 diesel-powered attack submarines. This submarine force is likely to expand to 65 by 2025 and 80 by 2035, according to the US Defense Department. 

Meanwhile, on Wednesday, China said it had successfully conducted a rare launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile into the Pacific Ocean. The move is expected to raise international concerns about the country's nuclear buildup.

Top Headlines

Trump Praises Saudi Arabia, Turkiye, Pakistan Defence Pact: 'Middle East Is Coming Together'
Trump Praises Saudi Arabia, Turkiye, Pakistan Defence Pact: 'Middle East Is Coming Together'
Trump Orders 'Substantial' Cut In US-South Korea Military Drills, Cites Kim Jong Un Ties
Trump Orders 'Substantial' Cut In US-South Korea Military Drills, Cites Kim Jong Un Ties
Former Afghan Security Official Shot Dead By Unknown Gunmen In Pakistan’s Quetta
Former Afghan Security Official Shot Dead By Unknown Gunmen In Pakistan’s Quetta
Iran Offers $30,000 Bounty To Capture Or Kill US Soldiers; Double Reward For Women
Iran Offers $30,000 Bounty To Capture Or Kill US Soldiers; Double Reward For Women

Videos

JHARKHAND: Devotees Throng Baba Baidyanath Dham on Third Shravan Monday
Political flash: Amit Shah targets Congress over Vande Mataram controversy in Rajasthan
BREAKING NEWS: Delhi Kalyanpuri Murder Shocks Area as Sanitation Worker Dies in Knife Attack
UP 2027 Election: Gen Z Takes Centre Stage as Yogi, Akhilesh Step Up Youth Outreach
BREAKING NEWS: Varanasi Airport Firing Leaves Two Security Staff Injured

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget