Explorer

In soup over remarks against Hemant Karkare, Sadhvi Pragya to submit reply to EC's notice by today

Addressing BJP workers in Bhopal on Thursday night, Thakur had claimed that Karkare died during the attacks as she "cursed" him for torturing her. However, after her remarks kicked up a row, she tendered an apology on Friday.

Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur who landed in soup after her controversial remark on 26/11 terror attack martyr police officer Hemant Karkare , has to submit her reply to Election Commission’s notice by today.
She has also been warned of unilateral action in case of non-submission of the reply within the stipulated time.
New Delhi: BJP’s Lok Sabha candidate from Bhopal Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur who landed in soup after her controversial remark on 26/11 terror attack martyr police officer Hemant Karkare , has to submit her reply to Election Commission’s notice by today. She has also been warned of unilateral action in case of non-submission of the reply within the stipulated time. The Election Commission (EC) issued a notice to the Malegaon blast accused on Saturday, over her remarks against police officer Hemant Karkare.  Noting that Thakur's remarks violate the Model Code of Conduct, District Election Officer Sudaam Khade served the notice on her and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) district chief Vikas Virani and gave them a day's time to file a reply. Addressing BJP workers in Bhopal on Thursday night, Thakur had claimed that Karkare died during the attacks as she "cursed" him for torturing her. However, after her remarks kicked up a row, she tendered an apology on Friday. "We took suo motu cognisance of the statement and sought a report from the assistant returning officer (ARO) on the matter. We got the report this morning and we are going to issue notices, which are returnable within 24 hours, to the organiser of the programme and the person who made the statement," District Election Officer and Bhopal Collector Sudam Khade told PTI. "We are going to send the ARO report to the EC," he said. Khade said that the organiser of the event had been given permission on certain conditions as the model code of conduct was in force. According to another EC official, as per the conditions set before giving permission to the event, use of objectionable language to defame a particular person had been prohibited. Out on bail, Thakur (48) has been discharged by a court on charges under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) in the 2008 case but is still facing trial under other criminal provisions, including the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

Top Headlines

‘Why So Scared Of Justice?’ Rahul Gandhi Targets Amit Shah Amid Row Over Pellet Injury Victim’s FIR
‘Why So Scared Of Justice?’ Rahul Gandhi Targets Amit Shah Amid Row Over Pellet Injury Victim’s FIR
Rahul Gandhi Sits On Dharna Outside DCP Office After Delhi Police Refuses FIR In Pellet Gun Victim's Case
Rahul Gandhi Sits On Dharna Outside DCP Office Over Pellet Gun Victim’s FIR
CJP Volunteers 'Attacked' In Rajasthan During School Visit; Dipke, Ranka Blame BJP Workers
CJP Volunteers 'Attacked' In Rajasthan During School Visit; Dipke, Ranka Blame BJP Workers
Rahul Gandhi’s Pune Event Gets Police Nod With 30 Conditions: No Drones, 4 Entry Gates, Separate Seating
Rahul Gandhi’s Pune Event Gets Police Nod With 30 Conditions: No Drones, Separate Seating

Videos

BREAKING: Rahul Gandhi's Police Station Protest Intensifies as Congress Demands FIR in Pellet Gun Case
BREAKING: Rahul Gandhi Stages Sit-In Outside Delhi Police Station, Demands FIR Over Pellet Gun Case
Breaking News: Rahul Gandhi Seeks FIR Over Alleged Pellet Gun Use Against Students in Delhi
Breaking: Rahul Gandhi Demands FIR Over Alleged Pellet-Gun Use on Students, Stays at Delhi Police Station
Breaking: Rahul Gandhi at Delhi Police HQ: Possible Jantar Mantar Pellet-Gun Complaint Under Review

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget