Explorer

Assam: Despite serving Army for 30 years, jawan left out from NRC draft

Guwahati (Assam) [India], Aug 2 (ANI): Mohammad A Haq, who served for the Indian Army for 30 years as Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) before retiring, is upset with the government for not including his and his family's names in the recently announced final National Register of Citizens (NRC) draft.

"I served in the Indian army for 30 years. I am really sad that my name is not mentioned in the NRC list. I served the nation with commitment. I have legacy data of my parents. The investigation should be fair and friendly," Mohammad A Haq told ANI.

Mohammad served the Indian Army between September, 1986 and September, 2016.

He next hopes that government will help him and his family.

The draft, which was released on July 30, left out nearly 40 lakh people in Assam, incorporating names of 2.89 crore people out of 3.29 crore applicants. Since then, the Opposition has been at loggerheads with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led Centre over the issue.

The first draft was published on December 31, 2017, and names of 1.9 crore of the 3.29 crore applicants were incorporated.

The NRC draft features the names, addresses and photographs of all Indian citizens, who have been residing in the northeastern state before March 25, 1971. (ANI)


This story has not been edited. It has been published as provided by ANI

Top Headlines

Plea In SC Seeks Probe Into Cockroach Janta Party’s Online Campaigns & Activities
Plea In SC Seeks Probe Into Cockroach Janta Party’s Online Campaigns & Activities
Trump Says US ‘In No Rush’ For Deal With Iran, Warns ‘There Can Be No Mistakes’
Trump Says US ‘In No Rush’ For Deal With Iran, Warns ‘There Can Be No Mistakes’
‘India First’: Jaishankar Bluntly Counters Rubio on Trump’s ‘America First’ Agenda
‘India First’: Jaishankar Bluntly Counters Rubio on Trump’s ‘America First’ Agenda
Russia Fires Hypersonic Missile At Kyiv In Massive Overnight Attack, Several Killed
Russia Fires Hypersonic Missile At Kyiv In Massive Attack, Several Killed

Videos

BREAKING: Russia unleashes massive missile and drone strike on Kyiv, Ukraine reels under heavy bombardment
Big Breaking: US–Iran likely to extend 60-day ceasefire under MoU agreement
Big Breaking: Trump posts edited map of Iran with US flag, labels it “United States of Middle East”
Big Update: “Behaviour changed after pregnancy,” claims husband Samarth Singh
Breaking News: Suicide Blast in Quetta Near Railway Track Kills 26 People
25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget