Explorer

NCLT Issues Notice To SpiceJet On Aircraft Lessor's Insolvency Plea

A two-member Principal bench of the NCLT headed by President Ramalingam Sudhakar issued the notice to SpiceJet and directed to list the matter on May 17 for the next hearing

The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) on Monday issued a notice to budget airline SpiceJet on a petition filed by an aircraft lessor seeking initiation of insolvency resolution proceedings against the budget carrier and the next hearing is scheduled for May 17, the PTI reported. The petition was filed by Aircastle (Ireland) Ltd.

According to the PTI report, a two-member Principal bench of the NCLT headed by President Ramalingam Sudhakar issued the notice to SpiceJet and directed to list the matter on May 17 for the next hearing. A SpiceJet spokesperson said that in the Aircastle issue, notice was issued in normal course. "There was no adverse ruling against SpiceJet. The court has recognised the fact that parties are under settlement discussions and they can continue to pursue the same," he said.

The latest development also comes at a time when crisis-hit rival Go First has filed for voluntary insolvency resolution proceedings. Aircastle filed the petition against SpiceJet on April 28.

Last week, SpiceJet said there were no aircraft from Aircastle in the airline's fleet and that the filing of the petition will in no way affect its operations. According to the NCLT website, two more petitions for insolvency resolution proceedings against SpiceJet are pending before it.

SpiceJet announced in February that it would reduce its debt by $100 million by allowing Carlyle Aviation Partners to purchase a 7.5 per cent stake in the airline by converting outstanding dues and acquiring a shareholding in the cargo business. The plea by Willis Lease Finance Corporation was filed on April 12 and the one by Acres Buildwell Private Ltd was filed on February 4.

Shares of SpiceJet were trading flat on Monday with Rs 31.79 apiece, down 0.44 per cent on the BSE.

Meanwhile, Go First, which went under citing Pratt & Whitney engine failures, is optimistic about resuming flights within seven days if the bankruptcy court restrains lessors from taking back its aircraft, reported by Bloomberg. Its Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Kaushik Khona said has enough funds to sustain operations on a cash-and-carry model for about 10 days. The airline is also seeking to request for an outstanding emergency credit it is eligible under the government’s programme to offer life-support to pandemic-hit industries, Khona said.

Top Headlines

Gaja Alternative Asset Management IPO: GMP At Rs 23; What Investors Should Know Before Applying
Gaja Alternative Asset Management IPO: GMP At Rs 23; What Investors Should Know Before Applying
LIC Can Now Buy More HDFC Bank Shares: RBI Approves Stake Hike To 9.99%
LIC To Increase HDFC Bank Stake? RBI Approves Holding Up To 9.99%, Details Here
Flipkart Food Delivery: New App To Take On Zomato, Swiggy, 300 Restaurants In Talks, Reveals Report
Flipkart Food Delivery: 300 Bengaluru Restaurants In Talks; Launch Timeline Revealed
Share Markets Break Losing Streak: Sensex Over 500 Points Up, Nifty Crosses 24,200
Share Markets Break Losing Streak: Sensex Over 500 Points Up, Nifty Crosses 24,200

Videos

Rajasthan News: Congress Protests in Jaipur Over Rajasthan’s Education System
Rain Exposes Ground Reality: Pregnant Woman Carried Across Drain, Bridges Washed Away
West Bengal News: Violent Clash at Jadavpur University Leaves 6–7 ABVP Students Injured
India-Pakistan Relations: India Removes Alleged Encroachment Outside Pakistan High Commission in Delhi
Weather Alert: Heavy Rain and Floods Trigger Widespread Havoc Across UP, J&K and Madhya Pradesh

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget