Explorer

No construction work was on at Kolkata bridge collapse site: Officials

The railway department also clarified that the maintenance of the collapsed portion of the road over bridge is not under their jurisdiction and said none of the railway passengers or employees were injured in the accident.

Kolkata: Amid blame game over the partial collapse of a bridge in south Kolkata's Majherhat, the Eastern Railway on Wednesday confirmed it was not conducting any maintenance work at the accident site. "It is stated by a section of press and media that railway's construction work was going on. It is clarified that no railway work was going on at the affected Majherhat bridge," a release issued by the Eastern Railway said. The railway department also clarified that the maintenance of the collapsed portion of the road over bridge is not under their jurisdiction and said none of the railway passengers or employees were injured in the accident. A youth was killed and at least 19 others were injured after a portion of a 40 year old bridge in Majherhat area, came crashing down at around 4.30 p.m. on Tuesday. Several vehicles were damaged and many people were feared trapped under the rubble. Following the clash, state urban development minister Firhad Hakim had stated that the heavy piling work that is going on at the adjacent Metro project, could have turned the foundation of the bridge weaker. The Metro authority, however, said there was no link between the ongoing construction work of the metro project and the bridge collapse. The Eastern Railway also clarified that the train services through Majherhat railway station had been temporarily suspended following the accident. "Circular Railway train services are being maintained between Dumdum junction station and BBD Bag station. However, the train services on Budge Budge-Ballygunj section may be restored after ensuring the safety," it added.

Top Headlines

Delhi Police Concedes To Rahul Gandhi, Agrees To Register FIR For Sahil Lochab
Delhi Police Concedes To Rahul Gandhi, Agrees To Register FIR For Sahil Lochab
Revanth Reddy’s US Visit Denied Clearance, MEA Says ‘Programme Not Appropriate’
Revanth Reddy’s US Visit Denied Clearance, MEA Says ‘Programme Not Appropriate’
‘Pellet Guns Can Be Fired, But Justice Denied’: Rahul Gandhi Vows To Fight For Sahil Lochab FIR
Rahul Gandhi Vows To Fight For Sahil Lochab FIR
‘Cheap, Attention-Seeking Politics’: JP Nadda Slams Rahul Gandhi Over Protest
‘Cheap, Attention-Seeking Politics’: JP Nadda Slams Rahul Gandhi Over Protest

Videos

BREAKING: Rahul Gandhi's Police Station Protest Intensifies as Congress Demands FIR in Pellet Gun Case
BREAKING: Rahul Gandhi Stages Sit-In Outside Delhi Police Station, Demands FIR Over Pellet Gun Case
Breaking News: Rahul Gandhi Seeks FIR Over Alleged Pellet Gun Use Against Students in Delhi
Breaking: Rahul Gandhi Demands FIR Over Alleged Pellet-Gun Use on Students, Stays at Delhi Police Station
Breaking: Rahul Gandhi at Delhi Police HQ: Possible Jantar Mantar Pellet-Gun Complaint Under Review

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget