Explorer

New South Wales Win Sheffield Shield Title After Final Gets Cancelled Due To COVID19 Outbreak

"By effectively cancelling the remainder of our season, Cricket Australia is playing its part in protecting fans, players, staff, volunteers and match officials during this unprecedented global health issue," Kevin Roberts, the Chief Executive, said.

New Delhi: New South Wales were declared winners of Australia's premier domestic first class tournament Sheffield Shield after Cricket Australia decided to cancel all cricketing activities which included the Shield finals for the remainder of the season due to coronavirus outbreak. With 51 points from nine games courtesy six wins, New South Wales had already booked their place in the season ending grand finale scheduled for March 27. The table toppers were likely to face second ranked Victoria who had secured 38 points on the back of three wins and three draws in their nine games. "By effectively cancelling the remainder of our season, Cricket Australia is playing its part in protecting fans, players, staff, volunteers and match officials during this unprecedented global health issue," Kevin Roberts, the Chief Executive, said. "These are difficult decisions, but the right ones in the circumstances. "Many will no doubt be disappointed that the Sheffield Shield, Premier Cricket and Community Cricket seasons won't have their traditional ending. That said, we congratulate New South Wales who were 12 points clear at the top of the table on being crowned Sheffield Shield champions. "As organisations around the world rally to slow the spread of the coronavirus, it's important that we also provide decisive leadership. We hope that by taking these actions now - in addition to those announced in recent days - we can contribute to 'flattening the curve' of coronavirus and society returning to normal as quickly as possible." The rapid spread of the disease has led to the sporting calendar around the world come to a virtual standstill. The Australian cricket team's ODI series against New Zealand was called off, as was India's ODI series against South Africa. Both series were to be held in empty stadiums before being called off altogether.

Top Headlines

WATCH: Sehwag’s Son Aaryavir Plays Father’s Iconic Shot In Identical Fashion
WATCH: Sehwag’s Son Aaryavir Plays Father’s Iconic Shot In Identical Fashion
Sam Curran Ruled Out For Rest Of England’s Home Season After Groin Surgery
Sam Curran Ruled Out For Rest Of England’s Home Season After Groin Surgery
'IPL Generation' Excelling In Tests Is A Mystery, Says Sanjay Manjrekar
'IPL Generation' Excelling In Tests Is A Mystery, Says Sanjay Manjrekar
WATCH: Ganguly’s Iconic Lord’s Celebration Recreated By India Mixed-Disability Cricket Team
WATCH: Ganguly’s Iconic Lord’s Celebration Recreated By India Mixed-Disability Cricket Team

Videos

Breaking: Kangana-Ramdev Row Escalates as ‘Character’ Remark Sparks Fresh Political Storm
Rajasthan School Row: Congress Protest Erupts at Assembly, Sachin Pilot Targets Govt
Breaking: Vande Mataram Row Escalates as Amit Shah Attacks Congress Over Two-Verse Decision
Breaking: Home Minister Attacks Congress Over Vande Mataram, Accuses Party of Appeasement Politics
BREAKING: Government Caps Large-Buyer Stocks as Prices Cross ₹65 Ahead of Festivals

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget