Explorer

Apple Confirms It Will Bring iPhone With USB-C Charger, To Comply With EU Regulation

Weeks after the EU passed rules to bring a common charger for small electronic devices like smartphones, Apple will comply with the USB Type-C charger legislation for its iPhones, it has confirmed.

Weeks after the European Union (EU) voted and passed rules to introduce a common charger for small electronic devices like smartphones and tablets, Apple will comply with the USB-C charger legislation, the company has confirmed. It should be noted that the iPhone models, including this year's iPhone 14 series, support Lightning cable for charging.

Apple to launch iPhone with USB Type-C cable?

According to the company executive Greg Joswiak, Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing at Apple, the iPhone maker will comply with the EU rule which means that iPhone models with USB Type-C are incoming. Apple has to comply with the EU single charger legislation if it wants to sell its iPhone models in Europe in 2024 and beyond.

As per an interview by Wall Street Journal's Joanna Stern about Type-C vs Lightning cable, Joswiak said that USB Type-C and Lightning are the world’s two most popular connectors, with over one billion people using a Lightning cable of some sort. The senior Apple executive also mentioned that the EU lawmakers and iPhone maker have “been in this little bit of a disagreement” about the idea of a common charger regulation.

“Obviously we’ll have to comply, we have no choice,” Joswiak was quoted as saying in the interview.

According to news agency Bloomberg, Apple is planning to switch the iPhone to USB-C next year.

It should be noted that the Lightning iPhone ports are being used by almost 20 per cent of devices sold in Europe. The Cupertino-based tech giant introduced the Type-C port in its 12-inch MacBook model in 2015 and in the iPad Pro in 2018. There has been a debate over the better shelf life of Lightning Ports over Type-C ports as the latter is said to become loose with usage.

What's the new EU legislation on USB Type-C chargers?

By the end of 2024, all mobile phones, tablets and cameras sold in the EU will have to be equipped with a USB Type-C charging port. From spring 2026, the obligation will extend to laptops. The new law, adopted by plenary on Tuesday with 602 votes in favour, 13 against and 8 abstentions, is part of a broader EU effort to reduce e-waste and to empower consumers to make more sustainable choices, read a press note shared by the European Parliament earlier this month.

Under the new rules, consumers will no longer need a different charger every time they purchase a new device, as they will be able to use one single charger for a whole range of small and medium-sized portable electronic devices.

Regardless of their manufacturer, all new mobile phones, tablets, digital cameras, headphones and headsets, handheld videogame consoles and portable speakers, e-readers, keyboards, mice, portable navigation systems, earbuds and laptops that are rechargeable via a wired cable, operating with a power delivery of up to 100 Watts, will have to be equipped with a USB Type-C port, the note added.

The micro-USB port along with USB 2.0 was the trend until 2000 and was the connector port of choice for a majority of portable gadgets and Android smartphones until USB Type-C charging came along in 2014.

Top Headlines

Pakistan SC Orders Imran Khan’s Transfer From Jail To Hospital Amid Health Concerns
Pakistan SC Orders Imran Khan’s Transfer From Jail To Hospital Amid Health Concerns
Ayodhya Ram Temple Donation Case: SIT Final Report Clears Champat Rai, Anil Mishra
Ayodhya Ram Temple Donation Case: SIT Final Report Clears Champat Rai, Anil Mishra
BJP Appoints New State In-Charges Ahead Of 2027 Polls: Check Picks For UP, Gujarat, Punjab
BJP Appoints New State In-Charges Ahead Of 2027 Polls: Check Picks For UP, Gujarat, Punjab
14 Of 28 CMs Face Serious Criminal Cases; Revanth Reddy Tops List, Suvendu Adhikari Second
14 Of 28 CMs Face Serious Criminal Cases; Revanth Reddy Tops List, Suvendu Adhikari Second

Videos

BREAKING NEWS: Champat Rai and Anil Mishra Get Clean Chit in Ram Temple Donation Case
POLITICAL ROW: Vande Mataram Controversy Intensifies After Congress Sings Only Two Verses
BIG CONTROVERSY: Naxalism Victims Question Leaders Calling Themselves ‘Ideological Naxals’
Breaking News: Delhi Police Tells Supreme Court No Excessive Force Used During July 20 Student Protest
Breaking: Ram Temple Donation Theft SIT Report Gives Clean Chit to Champat Rai, Anil Mishra

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget