Explorer

Sikkim Floods Toll Rises To 26, Search Ops On for 142 Missing People, CM Announces Ex Gratia For Victims' Kin

Sikkim Floods: At least 26 people have been killed so far in flash floods in Sikkim, while a search is on for the missing 142.

Sikkim Floods: The toll due to flash floods in Sikkim has risen to 26, while 142 people are still missing as Army and NDRF teams continue a search for them through slushy earth and fast-flowing water in the Teesta river basin, as reported by the news agency PTI. A cloudburst over Lhonak Lake in North Sikkim in the early hours of Wednesday triggered the flash flood leading to massive destruction in the state. 

Sikkim Chief Minister Prem Singh Tamang announced an ex-gratia compensation of Rs 4 lakh to the families of those who lost their lives in the flash flood. He also declared an immediate relief of Rs 2,000 each to all those who are being sheltered in relief camps.

"There have been damages worth thousands of crores of rupees. We cannot give exact details about damages, it will be revealed once a committee is formed and it completes its analysis. Our first priority is to save those who are stranded and provide them immediate relief," the CM told PTI.

26 Students From Meghalaya Stuck In Sikkim, Helpline Activated

At least 26 students from Meghalaya are stranded in Sikkim after the flash flood cut off roads and bridges, officials said on Friday, as reported by PTI. The Meghalaya government activated a helpline -- 1800 345 3644 to help those stranded in Sikkim. "31 students from Meghalaya are studying in Sikkim. Five of them have returned on their own, while efforts are on to bring the remaining 26 back home," an official told PTI.

In a post on X, Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma said that those affected by the devastation in Sikkim can reach out to the Directorate of Higher and Technical Education's Additional Director A Ali and Deputy Director FB Ramsiej.

Assam Govt Dispatches Officers For Evacuation Of Stranded Students From Sikkim

Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said on Friday that the state government has sent senior officers to flash flood-affected Sikkim to ensure the safe return of students from the state stranded there. Altogether 160 students from Assam are now stuck in Sikkim, he added.

“Due to the situation in Sikkim, we have dispatched two senior officers to oversee the evacuation of our 160 students from Rongpo and Majitar as soon as possible,” Sarma wrote on X.

An army jawan, hailing from Baksa district of the state, is also missing in Sikkim, PTI reported, citing army sources.

Top Headlines

Iran Warns Of ‘Fully Offensive’ Posture As Trump Rejects Extending Ceasefire
Iran Warns Of ‘Fully Offensive’ Posture As Trump Rejects Extending Ceasefire
Jharkhand Cancels Exam, Accepts Students' Demands; Protesters Insist On CBI Probe
Jharkhand Cancels Exam, Accepts Students' Demands; Protesters Insist On CBI Probe
‘Bar Council Cannot Run A Law College’: Prashant Bhushan Tells Supreme Court
‘Bar Council Cannot Run A Law College’: Prashant Bhushan Tells Supreme Court
BJP’s New Team: 51 New Faces, 14 Leaders Retained-Who Made The Cut?
BJP’s New Team: 51 New Faces, 14 Leaders Retained-Who Made The Cut?

Videos

Twisha Sharma Case: CBI Chargesheet Says Death Was Suicide
Breaking News: Ujjain Mahakal Temple Panic After Current Rumour, Devotees Injured During Nag Panchami Rush
Breaking News: Ujjain Mahakal Crowd Panic Leaves 13 Injured Amid Current Rumour, Crowd Management Questions Rise9
Breaking: Sawan Monday Turns Tragic as Lakhisarai Stampede, Birbhum Fire and Ujjain Chaos Raise Alarm
Breaking News: NTA Faces Fresh Heat as NSUI Protests UGC NET Re-Exam, Demands Accountability

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget