Explorer

India-China Border Clash: Air Force Increases Sorties, Steps Up Surveillance Along Arunachal Border

The Indian Air Force has beefed up its surveillance along the LAC in Arunachal Pradesh following the Chinese troops' attempt to change the status quo in the Yangtse region.

The fresh attempt by the Chinese People's Liberation Army to change the status quo in Arunachal Pradesh's Tawang has prompted the Indian Air Force to step up its surveillance along the Line of Actual Control in the border state.

Following the border clash between Indian and Chinese troops on December 9, the Indian Air Force activated standard operation procedures that involve scrambling of fighter jets in case of specific security concerns. "The situation is being monitored closely by both the IAF and the Army," an officer said.

If sources are to be believed, the IAF has increased the frequency of its combat jets sorties in the region.

On Monday, the Indian Army said troops from the two sides clashed along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the Tawang sector and the face-off led to "minor injuries" to a few personnel from both sides".

The face-off took place amid the over 30-month border standoff between the two sides in eastern Ladakh.

Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on Tuesday said in Parliament that Indian Army troops foiled the attempt by Chinese PLA to "unilaterally" change the status quo in Yangtse area of the Tawang sector. 

During his address, Rajnath Singh said that Indian troops tackled and stopped the PLA troops who encroached in Yangtse area of Tawang sector and tried to change the status quo. "On Dec 9 in Yangtse area of Tawang sector, PLA troops encroached upon & attempted to change status quo.This attempt was tackled by our troops in a determined manner. Our troops bravely stopped PLA from encroaching upon our territory AND forced them to go back to their post," Defence Minister

"In this face-off, few soldiers on both sides suffered injuries. I'd like to tell this House that none of our soldiers died or suffered any serious injury. With timely intervention of Indian military commanders, PLA soldiers have retreated to their own location," he said.

It was the first major clash between the India and Chinese armies since August 2020 near Rinchen La in eastern Ladakh.

The Yangtse area was witness to a clash between Indian and Chinese troops in October last year as well. The issue was resolved following talks between local commanders of the two sides as per established protocols.

(With inputs from PTI.)

Top Headlines

Goa Govt Moves SC Seeking Life Imprisonment For Tarun Tejpal In Rape Case
Goa Govt Moves SC Seeking Life Imprisonment For Tarun Tejpal In Rape Case
‘I Am Tikaau, Not Bikaau’: Shatrughan Sinha Says BJP Offered Him Incentives To Quit TMC
‘I Am Tikaau, Not Bikaau’: Shatrughan Sinha Says BJP Offered Him Incentives To Quit TMC
Musharraf Sought India's Nod For Karachi Test During 2004 Tour, Advani Refused: Book
Musharraf Sought India's Nod For Karachi Test During 2004 Tour, Advani Refused: Book
‘Political Parties Don’t Pay’: BJP's Well-Known TV Face Shehzad Poonawalla On Why He Left Party
‘Political Parties Don’t Pay’: BJP's Well-Known TV Face Shehzad Poonawalla On Why He Left Party

Videos

Bageshwar Baba Interview: Dhirendra Shastri Reveals the Turning Point That Changed His Life
Monsoon Havoc: From Mountains to Plains, Rain Triggers Chaos Across North India
Kolkata Hotel Fire: Free School Street Hotel Fire Raises Serious Safety Questions
ED Raid: ED Raids Azam Khan’s Premises in Delhi, Rampur and Saharanpur
Bihar Student Protest: Paper Leak, Unemployment and Recruitment Irregularities Fuel Student Agitation

Photo Gallery

25°C
New Delhi
Rain: 100mm
Humidity: 97%
Wind: WNW 47km/h
See Today's Weather
powered by
Accu Weather
Embed widget